If you are like most families in the United States, you fall into 2 categories: 1. You don’t have health insurance because it’s so expensive OR 2. You are paying a CRAZY amount of money for health insurance each month. Either way, you are probably hoping and wishing that there was another option. And guess what? There is an alternative. And I think you just may love it. It’s Samaritan Ministries, an alternative to traditional health insurance.
First, let me tell you a little bit about our family and why we chose to use Samaritan Ministries. We are a family of 4: me and my husband have a 16 year old son and a 12 year old daughter. Say a prayer for me, the teen and tween years are full of unique challenges! My husband and I have been self-employed for 20+ years. We have always done our own thing. Right now, my essential oil business is our income. Being self-employed, we don’t have the luxury of having an employer paid health insurance plan. But, from what I hear from many of my friends, employer sponsored plans are pretty much a thing of the past unless you work for the government. Of course, if you are a Congressman, you have it made. But I’m not gonna go there. #scam
Prior to joining Samaritan Ministries, we purchased our insurance through Humana. Our deductible was $7,000 a year for each person and our monthly rate had increased to $1,700 a month. Seriously, is this crazy or what!?!? Folks, this is A LOT of money. In addition, we simply don’t go to the doctor very much. I’m passionate about natural health and alternative medicine. That’s my thing. We practice prevention and handle little issues on our own. We also prefer to see naturopaths, chiropractors, and alternative doctors. These are not generally covered with traditional insurance programs. So, basically, I was giving $1,700 away every single month. But, hey, at least I wasn’t being fined by the Affordable Healthcare Act.
I heard about Samaritan Ministries from a friend and began to research. Friends, I am a HUGE researcher. That’s how I’m wired. I’m the person that reads the 1 star Amazon reviews before purchasing anything. I didn’t just research Samaritan Ministries, I also looked into other alternative companies such as Liberty HealthShare and Christian Care Ministry (Medi-Share). I studied the website, interrogated customer service, and spoke to my friends who had used Samaritan Ministries. After sharing my research with my husband, we knew that Samaritan Ministries was a good fit for our family.
Is Samaritan Ministries health insurance? No, technically, it is not health insurance. It’s actually a share program. Our monthly share is $405 (for a family of 4). Each month, I write a check to an actual family to help share the cost of their medical needs. When a family has a medical bill, they submit it to Samaritan Ministries. Samaritan, in turn, divides the bill up among participants. So I’m not writing a check to a corporation; I’m sending money and prayers to the actual people who need it. Truly, this is a joy. It is such a blessing to be able to help other believers in their time of need. Writing a monthly check to Humana was a burden; writing a check to another family is a pleasure.
Samaritan Ministries Review
To help you make a more informed decision, here are a few frequently asked questions:
- Is this legal? Yes, it is.
- Will I be fined by the Affordable Care Act? No, health share ministries are exempt. No fines!
- Is there a deductible? No. There is not but needs under $300 are not shared. When the need goes over $300, the amount from $300 to $250,000 is shared.
- What if my medical cost is over $250,000? There is an additional program, Save to Share. This will allow you to share medical expenses above $250,000.
- Am I limited to certain doctors? No. You pick your own doctor. Always.
- What if I need a second opinion? Go and get it. Remember, you pick your own doctor.
- Are alternative doctors and chiropractors included? You may request that alternative treatment be shared.
- What are the member requirements? You must be a professing Christian who attends church regularly and agree to abstain from drug abuse and sexual immorality. You must also be accountable to a church pastor or leader.
- What about pre-existing conditions? Pre-existing conditions are not shared. Some pre-existing conditions may be eligible for Special Prayer Needs. Needs that fall outside of guidelines will often be posted and members can send donations as they feel prayerfully led.
- Is pregnancy included? Pregnancy costs will be shared.
- How long has Samaritan Ministry been around? Since September 1994.
Our family has been involved with Samaritan Ministry for over a year and I can only say great things about this program. I am super passionate about this ministry and all the do to bring believers together and bear one another’s burdens. It’s such a beautiful thing.
Friends, if you have any questions about my review of Samaritan Ministries, please comment here and I will do my best to answer. I’ve done quite a bit of research and truly believe that this is an amazing (and little known) resource. Please help me in spreading the word because people need to know that there are alternatives to traditional health insurance. Samaritan Ministries is a blessing to our family and, if you have a need, it just might be a blessing to your family, too.
If you do choose to sign up, please let them know that Stephanie Blue Crane referred you. I’ll get a small credit for spreading the word and be very appreciative for you remembering.