Are you familiar with spikenard essential oil? You might have read the word “spikenard” or “nard” it in the Bible. It’s mentioned a few times. Let’s take a look at some scripture and then we will dig into the uses and benefits of spikenard essential oil. I think you’re gonna love it!
“While he was in Bethany, reclining at the table in the home of Simon the Leper, a woman came with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, made of pure nard. She broke the jar and poured the perfume on his head.” — Mark 14:3
“Then Mary took about a pint of pure nard, an expensive perfume; she poured it on Jesus’ feet and wiped his feet with her hair. And the house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume.” — John 12:3
‘While the king was on his couch, my nard gave forth its fragrance.” — Song of Solomon 1:12
“Your plants are an orchard of pomegranates with choice fruits, with henna and nard,” — Song of Solomon 4:13
We can tell by these verses that spikenard was highly prized. But just why was it so valuable?
Spikenard is native to Nepal and is a member of the Valerian family. If you are familiar with herbs, then you might recognize valerian as having calming and relaxing properties. Spikenard has the same characteristics.
Spikenard is a very chemically complex essential oil. Because it is so complex, it is good for MANY purposes. Dr. David Hill, doTerra’s Executive Chief Medical Officer, stated that spikenard was much like frankincense in that it is incredibly powerful and potent. Like frankincense, it can be used alongside any other oil for added kick. I’m a fan of layering essential oils when I use them. For example, if you are feeling stressed and apply Balance to your wrists, wait 10 or 20 seconds and apply a layer of spikenard. Extra kick!
Benefits of Spikenard Essential Oil
- Mood stabilization, particularly anxious and sad feelings.
- Supports healthy blood pressure levels.
- Promotes relaxation.
- Great for itching skin and mild wound care.
- Digestive support. Helps with constipation.
- Grounding and calming.
- Supports healthy inflammatory response.
- Promotes hair growth.
- Calms feelings of anger and panic.
- Promotes restful sleep.
- Supports a healthy female reproductive system.
- Boosts the immune system.
How to use Spikenard Essential Oil
- Diffuse with other oils to support the mood as needed. Excellent combined with Wild Orange to release feelings of fear.
- Dilute with a carrier oil (10% dilution) and apply to the creases in the elbows or back of the neck for calmness and relaxation.
- Add a few drops with an unscented lotion, coconut oil, or doTerra’s hydrating lotion for skin support.
- Dilute and apply topically to the belly for improved digestion.
- Dilute and apply topically as a massage oil for sore muscles.
- Layer on top of any other oil for extra power and potency.
- To increase hair growth, add 5-10 drops to your shampoo or conditioner.
Can you see the diverse uses of spikenard? It’s good for so many things. Now that you are familiar with the uses and benefits of Spikenard essential oil, how will you use it?
Ready to purchase a bottle, head on over to http://www.OpenTheBottle.com and I’ll help. You can open a customer account and get 25% off retail prices. I’ll add you to our 2 week essential oil training program and Everyday Essential Oils, our private support group. Lots of essential oil love!